The Death Ride

For some reason, bike rides are soothing, aren't they? They calm your mind and organise your thoughts. They refresh you and lift up your spirit.

One evening, when I was feeling quite low, one of my friends took me out for a bike ride. I was quite silent. I observed many things. I saw the different ways in which people sit on their bikes, some slouching, some stiff, some excited teenagers, some restless men eager to go back home from their respective offices. Various types of passengers on the pillions, elder ladies sitting with their legs hanging on one side and their pallus tucked in their armpits, a young couple with the girl hiding herself under the safety of her scarf, a child trying to expand his arms to their fullest to hold onto his father.
We stopped at a red light. I looked around and wondered what thoughts must be running in everyone's mind. Must they be wondering the same too? I saw a man ahead of us on his bike, tapping his left foot on the road in sync with the red light timer. Must he be counting along or did he just happen to tap while singing a song in his mind and it synced? A man in a uniform of some company looking at his wrist watch. The young couple seizing the opportunity to hold hands and look into each others' eyes.
But, what everyone wasn't thinking was that this could also be their last ride if they didn't be careful enough! Now don't judge me to be a pessimist. Look at the bigger picture. So many road accidents, deaths, ruined lives. Why?
Carelessness.
Once, one of my girl friends and I, were on a scooty. I was driving. She sat behind me with her back to my back. Now, yes it was childish but, yes we were doing it. We turned left and there was a speed breaker immediately. Although I slowed down but my friend lost her balance as she wasn't holding onto anything as she had her cell phone and purse in her hands. She lost her balance and she fell to her left. That meant right in the middle of the road. I couldn't understand what happened for a moment. I looked behind. I saw her lying on the road and her body shaking. I was so numb that I thought she was laughing until I went close and saw her convulsing in a pool of blood. Just imagine what if there was a vehicle behind us? Would have been the last ride, right?
Every other day we find out about accidents in news. We comment on how that would have been prevented. We judge the drivers but, how many of us follow all the traffic rules? How many of us carry a helmet? How many of us use the seat belts? Not many.

Your life is precious.
If not your, the one whom you are about to hit, does not want to die at your hands.
Don't drive while you are intoxicated.
Don't drive if you are tired.
Think about your family and friends.
Its a beautiful world..
It would be a misfortune to leave it without a happy ending.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I'll live.

Rang de Zindagi ! Splash your life with the colours of life !

Old souls